Learning to look and how people ‘read’ a work of art. Students explore exhibitions at the gallery to practice close-looking and observation techniques while strengthening their visual literacy and visual thinking skills.
• The programme includes student-led discussion and hands-on activities (drawing, collage and game playing)
During the visit
• Students explore ways of looking at art while focusing on how they can connect art and ideas to their own lives and experiences.
• Students participate in a discussion of how a work of art can be ‘read’ and the importance of visuals within their own personal contexts. What is art? Where can we see art in our everyday lives? How can we ‘read’ a work of art? Why is it important to be able to ‘read’ art?
• What is the difference between ‘reading’ a work of art and ‘reading’ a written text? What kind of information do we get from visual art?
• Students will also see how exhibitions are developed and some of the process and the ideas behind the selection and presentation of the works.
Key competencies: Thinking, using language symbols and texts, participating and contribution, managing self, relating to others
Curriculum strands: Visual Arts: understanding the arts in context, communicating and interpreting, developing practical knowledge, developing ideas. English: listening, reading, viewing and speaking, writing and presenting.
NCEA: 1.2-2.2-3.2- 1.1-2.1-3.1
Duration: One hour, however, we can change it to meet your timeframe.
Suitable: For Year 1-13
Available: Throughout the year
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings City Art Gallery to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings City Art Gallery shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings City Art Gallery cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Hastings City Art Gallery - www.hastingscityartgallery.co.nz / +64 6 8715095 / email@example.com